site search engine by freefind
CGFNS Sample Questions - MCQs - 1
Select the most appropriate response.
1. The nurse should expect a patient who has chronic renal failure to be given epoetin alfa (Epogen) to
Elevate the WBC count
Enhance the maturation of thrombocytes
Increase the production of platelets
Stimulate the synthesis of red blood
2. When planning care for a 15-year old female who is pregnant, a nurse should recognize that the adolescent is at risk of
Fatal chromosomal abnormalities
Iron deficiency anemia
3. A nirse is planning a community education presentation about testicular cancer. The target group shouk be men aged
20 to 34 years
40 to 49 years
50 to 64 years
65 years and older
4. When teaching the care givers of patient who has dementia of the Alzheimer type, a nurse sould stress the importance of
A predictable environment
Independent decision making
5. To help a mother anticipate the safety needs of her nine year old son who s learning to ride a biycle, the nurse would teach that
A helmet will reduce the risk of head injury
The child must never ride without a friend nearby
A formal course of instruction is recommended
The child must ride on the side walk
6. A patient with cholelithiasis and obstruction of the common bile duct would most likely exhibit which of the following manifestations :
Dark brown stools
Bright red tongue
7. Whic nursing diagnosis would receive priority for a pre-eclamptic woman who is six hours post delivery?
High risk for injury
Sleep pattern disturbance
8. A patient says to the nurse if you give a cigarette, I will go to group therapy, which of the following responses by the nurse would be therapeutic?
Here are your cigarettes
All patients on this unit are expected to go to the group therapy
You can have one cigarette, then you must go to group therapy
Other patients do not ask me for specials treatment, why are you the only one?
9. Which of the following blood values on the laboratory report should a nurse expect when assessing a patient who has emphysema?
PCo2, 52 mm Hg
Po2, 94 mm Hg
Hco3, 21 meq/2
10. A six-month old infant is suspected of having intussusception. A nurse should expect the child to undergo which of the following procedures?
11. Which of the following conditions would a nurse recognize as contributing to the development of respiratory acidosis?
12. Which of the following outcomes observed by the nurse during the drain cycle of peritoneal dialysis should be reported immediately to the physician?
Clear yellow output
Patient complaint of slight cramping
A drain output of 50cc less than instilled
13. Which of the following foods should be removed from the dietary tray of a patient who has hepatic encephalopathy?
14. Which of the following nursing measures would be most appropriate in the care of the patient who has acute epitaxis :
Tilt the patient's head back
Place the patient's head between his legs
Pinch the nose and have the patient lean forward
Place warm compresses on the patient's nasal
15. Which of the following findings would a nurse identify as indicative of septic shock in a patient?
Cool, clammy skin
16. The nurse should instruct a patient who is to receive digoxin (Lanoxin) to report development of which of the following side effects ?
Ringing in the ears
Loss of appetite
Signs of bruising
Sensitivity to sunlight
17. A seven-year old girl is to begin her first immunization schedule. According to recommended guidelines which of the following is not needed?
18. Which of the following instructions should a nurse give to a patient who has a historyof venous leg ulcers in order to prevent recurrence?
Sit with your legs dependent whenever possible
Use warm compresses on your legs in the evening
Examine your legs for areas of redness everyday
Keep your legs flexed when standing for long period
19. Nursing care for a patient who has polycythemia vera would focus on preventing :
20. Which of the following actions would a nurse take first when caring for a patient experiencing a cardiac arrest?
Initiate cardiac monitoring
Provide intravenous access
Establish an open airway
Obtain a pulse oximetry reading
21. Which of the following manifestations would a nurse expect to identify when assessing a patient who has atrial fibrillation ?
Irregular radial pulse
Elevated blood pressure
22. When caring for a patient who is on a mechanical ventilator, the nurse should monitor the patient for which of the following complication ?
23. While a patient who has Hodgkin's disease is receiving chemotherapy, it is important to assess the patient for symptoms of :
24. A woman who is in pre-term labor is receiving magnesium sulphate for which of the following purposes ?
To enhance fetal lung maturity
To prevent seizures
To improve urine output
To control uterine contraction patterns
Question No. 6
answer : b. Yellow sclera
answer : a. High risk of injury
answer : b. All oatients on this unit are expected to go to the group therapy
answer : a. PCO2, 52 mm Hg
answer : a. Emphysema
answer : d. Eggs
answer : Cloudy output
answer : c. pinch the nose and have the patient lean forward
answer : c. Cool, clammy skin
answer : b. Loss of appetitie
answer : c. Pertussis
answer : c. Examine your legs for areas of redness everyday
answer : c. Trhombosis
answer : c. Irregular radial pulse
Question No. 1
answer : d. Stimulate the synthesis of red blood cells
answer : Iron deficiency anemia
answer : b. A predictable environment
answer : a. 20 to 34 years
answer : a. A helmet will reduce the risk of head injury
answer : c. Barium enema
page view counter
answer : c. establish an open airway
answer : c. Pneumothorax
answer : c. Infection
answer : oligodendrocytes
answer : D. To control uterine contraction patterns
site search engine by freefind