site search engine by freefind
page view counter
Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome
(less than 12 hours)
- apprehension, anxiety
- irritability, restlessness
- minor withdrawal symptoms mentioned above plus
- confusion ,agitation, fear
- clinical features of intermediate withdrawal plus
- hallucinations-visual, auditory (may prove self- harm)
- cardiac arrhythmias
- circulatory collapse
Early instigation of an oral benzodiazepine,
diazepam or lorazepam
in sufficient dose along with
100 mg daily will prevent the full blown syndrome.
The patient may be reluctant to conform to the restrictions normally expected during hospitalization.
Staff should be encouraged to
talk to them,adopting a quiet ,non-judgemental attitude,to orient them to the environment
them that the symptoms are temporary.
* * * * * *